Hurricane Tips: After the Storm

hurricane-michael

  • Do not start all major appliances at the same time. Turn them on one at a time to reduce damage.
  • Stay away from power lines, regardless of whether they are down or loose, and report them immediately.
  • Never use a generator indoors, even if there is ventilation. This includes basements, crawlspaces and garages. Exhaust fumes contain high levels of carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. Even when left outside, keep generators at least 10 feet away from doors and windows. And before filling your generator with gas, allow it to cool down. Splashing gas on a hot generator can cause a fire.
  • Do not use electrical or gas appliances that have been wet
  • Do not turn on damaged appliances because of the hazards of electric shock or fire.
  • Never use charcoal indoors because it produces high levels of carbon monoxide that can reach lethal levels in enclosed spaces.
  • Keep out of flood waters. They can contain harmful contaminates and hide dangerous debris.
  • Take photographs of any damage incurred.
  • Begin cleaning up water damage as soon as possible to avoid mold and be sure to wear protective gear.
  • Contact your insurance company if your home’s exterior or interior is damaged from the hurricane.
  • Keep out of any building that has water in or around it.
  • Avoid drinking or preparing food with tap water until you are sure it’s not contaminated.
  • As you rebuild, strengthen your existing garage doors to improve the wind resistance, particularly double-wide garage doors.
  • If you do not have impact-rated windows, protect your windows with permanent storm shutters

If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to us at support@plygeminfo.com.