Tips for Brightening Up Bathrooms
The bathroom can often be overlooked when designing for maximum light flow into the home. Even the smallest bathroom can benefit from the expansive use of windows to open up the room and make the environment more welcoming. Here are a few ways to brighten up your bathrooms:
- Obscure glass to protect your privacy, incorporate large floor-to-ceiling windows in your bathroom. Oversized windows will maximize the flow of light into the room while also giving homeowners the option of more ventilation.
- Add non-operable transom windows high on the exterior walls of the bathroom to allow more light inside. A design of several transom windows can be placed horizontally across the exterior wall to protect privacy while offering views of the sky during the day and the stars at night.
- In bathrooms where privacy is not a primary concern, use only minimal window coverings, such as valances at the top of the window. This allows maximum light to stream into the room and infuses the entire bathroom with natural energy. To dress up the window, add wide decorative white mouldings surrounding the window to reflect light.
- To create a unique master bathroom retreat, consider adding a deck outside the bathroom, with a Garden Door for access to the outdoors. In any geographic area, the opportunity to step outside the bathroom with a morning cup of coffee is an enticing option.
- Add a Garden window to the bathroom. A Garden window is like a mini greenhouse and Simonton offers Garden windows with dual, fully-operational casement sidelites to bring air and sunlight into the bathroom. As a bonus, homeowners can grow small plants on the shelves or use the shelf space for easy access to toiletry items.